I am a household list maker. My list making is an uncontrollable compulsion, and I just can’t help myself! In fact, that is how Menu Maker Mom got started. After all, a menu, in and of itself, is nothing more than a list of food items, isn’t it? I love lists because they just seem to make decision-making go totally autopilot. Things just seem to “click”. For me, when it comes to managing a busy household, lists create household order, whereas flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants just creates chaos!
What good is a list if you can't find it???
If you’re a list maker like me, or you want to start using a list or two, one of the most important concepts in making your lists work FOR you and not AGAINST you is having a regular place to put each list so each one is easy to access and easy to use. There is nothing more frustrating than having several running copies of the same list or losing a list. That just ADDS stress, not reduces it! If a list is kept hidden in a drawer, it won’t be used and probably will get lost.
Here's how I keep track:
* Menu is on the fridge. I use this daily.
* Camper packing list is in my household notebook. (More about that later!) Only use this one a few times a year.
* Freezer Contents list is on the freezer door. I use this daily.
* Fridge Left-Overs list is on the fridge. I use this daily.
* Grocery & Shopping list is on the fridge door. I use this daily.
* To-Do list is in my planner. I use this daily.
* Cleaning list is in my household notebook. I use this monthly.
* Gift Giving list is in my planner. (I keep a copy in “notes” in my phone too.) I use this
periodically as needed.
* Bill Paying list is in my accordion bill file. I use this list every 2 weeks.
* Budget and Savings list is in my accordion bill file. I use this list every 2 weeks.
* Holiday/Event/Vacation planning lists are in my household notebook. I use this list a
few times a year.
* School list of dates/phone numbers/important information is in my planner. I use
this list periodically as needed.
* Coupon code list. I keep this by the computer and use periodically.
For some my list might seem a little excessive. One might wonder if I actually keep a list of all my lists!! Especially for anyone who is NOT a list maker, my list-making compulsion may seem a little… Well, one might say “over-the-top”. I have a list of those people! ( just kidding! )
Truth is, I can’t imagine life without my lists. Don’t know how I’d get anything done or remember where anything is! I absolutely love my lists. They keep me organized and sane. They keep my house clean, my bills paid, and my family fed; and because they keep my life running smoothly and efficiently, they give me extra time in my day for rest and relaxation!
My list-making compulsion gets even worse...
Know what else I can’t live without when it comes to staying organized? Notebooks! I love notebooks almost as much as I love lists. In fact, I put some of my lists in notebooks! I'm sure you'd loooove to hear more about my notebooks, and I would be thrilled to tell you more..., but that’s not on my list for today!
Menu Maker Mom~
Makin' Yummies. Stuffin' Tummies.