Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I LOVE GIFTS. DON'T YOU???

Hey, you... Yes, you... You've been gifted, did you know that? I have been too!

I've been reading "The Cure for the Common Life" by Max Lucado. Actually, this is the second time I've read it. The first time I read it, I sort of just skimmed and looked for the high points. I quickly got the point of the book, and I hurriedly answered the questions on the first section of self-discovery. Then I put the book and my notes away.

When I first read this book, I connected with the news that I am gifted. Cool! I discovered what I've always known about myself... I'm creative, and I like to make things, and I like to plan things, and I like to make up things that are new, and I like to get others excited about doing new things too. While I've always known these facts about myself, I didn't know I had received a GIFT.

If I'd known I'd received a GIFT, I'd have been a little more appreciative. I'd have used the GIFT more. I'd have tried to show the Gift Giver how much the GIFT means to me and how much the Gift Giver means to me.

Since I'm reading this book for the second time, I'm also working on the second section of study. It's quite an eye-opener! I've learned that my GIFT should never have been hidden away or kept to myself. Not only do I not really get to enjoy the gift, but I also insult the Gift Giver who picked out this GIFT especially for me, even before I was a twinkle in my Mama's eye.

So what should I do now? I still have this GIFT. I've unwrapped it and used it in private many times. I didn't tell anyone who gave me the gift, and I don't think I ever said "Thank You" to the infinitely generous Gift Giver for giving it to me.

Well, I think it's time to play with my GIFT. But this time I won't use it in private, instead I'll remember to invite others to play with me! And I'll definitely remember to say an appreciative "Thank You" each and every day to the Gift Giver. (I'm so glad that the Gift Giver loves me enough to forgive me for forgetting to say "Thanks".)

Lastly, I won't worry about whether or not I think I'm equipped to have the GIFT. I won't hide when I use it out of fear that someone won't like it or will judge how I use it, I'll just take a risk and use it wherever I'm at!

So what about you? Like I said, you received a GIFT too. What'd ya get? And what are you doin' with it? It's time to go out and show it off and tell everyone Who gave it to you!!