Friday, October 17, 2008

FRUGAL FRIDAY

"Yay!!! Yipee!! The cold front is here!!!" Okay - it's not really a "cold" front... maybe we can call it a "cool" front. So, I'll just start over right here:

"Yay!!! Yipee!! The cool front is here!!!" Alright - so it's not even really a "cool" front. Let's just agree to call it a "not so hot as hell that it makes you wish you could wear shorts to work even though it would freak out your coworkers and all the students" front. So, here it goes:

"Yay!!! Yipee!! The "not so hot as hell that it makes you wish you could wear shorts to work even though it would freak out your coworkers and all the students" front is here!!!"

Why do I get excited about cooler air, you ask? Well, the a/c is costing me a small fortune! My September electricity bill was a whopping $450.00. I almost fainted twice ~ once when I looked at the bill and another time when I wrote the check!


Then came October. We were turning off lights, using the toaster oven instead of the oven, hanging jeans on the line, had raised the household temp to 80 degrees during the day, and generally doing whatever we could to reduce the bill. The bill had only gone down to $400.00. I almost fainted only once this time, as my head was still numb from the September bill.

Here lately, since it has cooled off just a bit, I added something new to my attempt to reduce the electrical bill: I've been turning off the a/c during the day when we're at work and kids are at school. Normally, I wouldn't do this since I've heard that by turning off the system you just cause it to work twice as hard at the end of the day when your house is heated up like a convection oven on high. But since it has been slightly not-as-hot lately, I've been turning it off at 7:00 a.m. and turning it back on around 5:30 p.m.

I have even considered not turning the a/c on at all and just flinging opening up the windows to enjoy the cooler, fresh air, but if you've ever had a dog trap a skunk under your bedroom window at 2 a.m., and if you've ever woken up to the stench of skunk all throughout your house, then you'd know why I don't sleep with the windows open. Peeeeewwwww!!! The air just doesn't smell so "fresh"!

Let's see what the November bill looks like when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

We could be sleeping with the skunks soon.